Monday, April 27, 2009

Citations

Followers of this blog, of whom I hope and expect there are none, or at least none perturbed or offended, will have observed that I have interests both in reason and in faith, and have tended to precess between the two, believing neither to conflict with, nor to preclude, the other. What I write, I write to myself, and sometimes as a "clamo ad te" to God. Per Eliot's version of the tempter's comment to Thomas Becket: "That is why I tell you. Your thoughts have more power than kings to compel you."

And it's perhaps why I tell myself the same thing in a variety of languages, from those of theology and philosophy, to that of predicate logic. And the thing I tell myself is that I must embrace my moral compass and reject and repudiate evil, and that I have to believe.

In times that seem hopeless, perhaps even eschatological, that is the final message, though, howsoever and in whatever idiom articulated and internalized. Trust God, see all, nor be afraid.

Today, I'm thinking of Matthew 8:16-17.

No comments:

Post a Comment