Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Book Report Cancelled

I recently posted my reactions to a book I've been reading that, rather than affording me the solace I suppose I was looking for, had the effect (unintended, I'm sure, by the author) of exacerbating my frustration and distress. On reflection, I think it was ok to say this, but not ok (nor consistent with my Christian principles) to identify or criticize the book or the author in question (of whom I did say that I felt "admiration for the author's almost unparalleled ecumenicism, spirit of tolerance, and authenticity of spiritual introspection and exploration"). So I'm excising my earlier post, apologizing to the author, though I doubt that he (or anyone) has seen it or could care less, and resolving not to publish further posts that make specific references to persons (in contradistinction to philosophical positions), even ones in the public view, unless those persons have specifically solicited my opinion (also, given the obscurity of this blog), a cosmically unlikely event).

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Peter. I just wanted to let you know that I read your earlier post about my book and wasn't offended by it. On the contrary, I was inspired that you would give HOW TO BELIEVE IN GOD such a thorough reading and happy that it inspired a response from you. You are obviously a sincere spiritual seeker, and I welcome reponses to my work on your blog at any time. You don't have to agree we me or what I write to do so, in my opinion, and I think the fact that you reflect on your writing after the fact and question yourself about it indicates that you are the sort of person whose opinion I would respect in any case, even when we differed. Good luck with your blog, and don't think nobody's reading it. People do, and they will. So keep writing...and you write pretty well, by the way...IMHO. Best wishes! Clark Strand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Clark.

    Thank you for your extraordinarily gracious and understanding message. I still think that pulling the post was the right thing for me to do, but I am, paradoxically, also grateful that it somehow improbably came to your attention in the few hours before I did, because I feel much better -- as though a weight had been lifted -- knowing that I haven't offended you. I hope I made it clear in my original post, my own internal spiritual struggles notwithstanding, that you enjoy my respect and admiration, and the more so now for the generosity of spirit evident in your reply.

    Thanks once again, and best wishes,

    Peter Kent

    ReplyDelete